The Virtual Repairman's  Appliance Help Forum Index The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help
It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bookmark and Share
maytag dryer turning whites to gray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help Forum Index -> Clothes Dryers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigmoose1955
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: maytag dryer turning whites to gray Reply with quote

I have a gas maytag dryer less than five years old. It now dries clothes ok, except it is turning my white clothes to a dingy gray. I also am accumulating a dark film inside the door.
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: dryer issue Reply with quote

Let's begin with a model number, please...

Is the dryer on LP gas or Natural gas?
Also, I need to know if your washer is a front loader or not.
bigmoose1955
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: maytag dryer turning whites to gray Reply with quote

The model number is HYG365AWW
It is a natural gas dryer
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: dryer issue Reply with quote

This is the basic Performa dryer, which is not causing the clothes to become dingy. My clothes started doing the same thing until I found out about hard water, cold washes and H.E. detergents. All of the aforementioned can cause whites to come out grayish after a while. It becoms noticeable after the clothes are pulled from the dryer, so naturally people suspect the dryer first.

My solution at home was to use only warm and hot water to wash the clothes and adding a scoop of Oxy-Kleen powder to the wash load along with the detergent. This product does more than any bleach can do, especially in high efficiency washers. My tighty-whities eventually returned to white again after using the Oxy Kleen a few washes.

The discoloration in the door of the dryer may actually be a form of mildew which has permeated the porous plastic of the door liner. This type of accumulation has been attributed to a vent problem in most cases. I discovered long ago while working for Maytag Corp that most of the installers for the various sales companies were putting thin foil duct on the dryers. This is against all instructions in the dryer manual and on the back of the dryer itself, yet these cheap bastids continue to do this even today just to save a buck. They do not care that unpleasant issues will arise with the dryer later, such as failed motors and heaters, nor do they have to deal with you after they drop the unit on the floor and leave.

I suspect you may have venting issues that are causing moisture to be retained longer than necessary in the dryer. Check to see that your vent is clear and conforms to the terms of your Installation Guide. If the black stains were anything related to the combustion of the burners, I would imagine there would be soot collecting on other places besides the door, so I don't think this is an issue. Gas dryers in particular need to be well vented to allow for proper combustion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help Forum Index -> Clothes Dryers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: