The Virtual Repairman's  Appliance Help Forum Index The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help
It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bookmark and Share
Frigidaire Washing Machine not draining and timer buzzes.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help Forum Index -> Servicers Only
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shilo
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Frigidaire Washing Machine not draining and timer buzzes. Reply with quote

I don't recall the model, but it's a newer top load Frigidaire washing machine. When it reaches the spin cycle on ANY of the fabric settings, it spins (though it wont achieve fast spin) but won't drain, and the timer buzzes fairly loudly. It is definitely coming from the timer. There is no problem with the rest of the cycles, it agitates beautifully, the drum will turn freely when moved by hand, and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the belt. I've already checked all the hoses for blockages and kinks and tested the lid switch, and I suspect the problem is in fact a bad timer, but I'm hoping someone might confirm that for me. I didn't test the pump itself or check the impeller, but the buzzing on the timer just has me convinced that's the problem. If anyone can confirm this or offer alternate solutions I haven't checked yet, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just looked up the model, it's the Frigidaire fws933fs.
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: washer Reply with quote

Hi Shiloh;

Your machine likely just needs a new pump, but first I would open the front panel and inspect the pump by removing the hoses to it and looking for debris. It won't be the first time that a bra wire worked its way down to the pump and jammed it up...or maybe an errant thong, who knows? Smile

You'll find the Frigidaire Topload manual in the Repair Manual forum, and just in case you find nothing in particular in your pump it will need to be replaced. A bad pump can put excessive current draw on the timer, hence the loud hum. I believe once the pump problem is solved, the issue will clear up.

The pump for this machine is shown below, and with the help of my manual you should be able to easily tackle this 30 minute job and save yourself major bucks.

Pump- click to order

Last edited by Virtual Repairman on Wed May 11, 2011 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Shilo
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wondered if an excessive draw might be the cause of the noise. I truly doubt that there is either underwire or a thong in the pump, as it's two gentlemen occupying the suite that the unit is in. These days though, you just never know I suppose. It was my intention to try swapping out the timer later this evening, but I think maybe I will try the pump first instead. Thanks for the tip Smile Here's hoping the pump on the newer model is the same part.
Shilo
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! It was a piece of underwire after all... Embarassed

I can't believe it was in there as long as it must have been and only made it into the pump just recently.

Anyway, it's working just fine now, though there is still a bit of a buzz in the timer on the spin cycles. Not nearly as loud as it was though, I think the pump motor might be a little strained after all it's been through lol.

Thank you sir, you saved me a lot of time. Expect to see me around, I have over 600 residences to maintain.

Cheers!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help Forum Index -> Servicers Only All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: