The Virtual Repairman's  Appliance Help Forum Index The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help
It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bookmark and Share
GE Dish Washer, Model GSD3200J00BB has stopped working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help Forum Index -> Dishwashers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: GE Dish Washer, Model GSD3200J00BB has stopped working. Reply with quote

My GE Dish Washer, Model GSD3200J00BB, has stopped working. I have verified the C/B and the wall electrical power control switch are good. I have requested a wiring diagram from GE. Is there a fuse? Where is it? How do I get to it? Do you have any ideas what else maybe causing the problem?
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: dishwasher Reply with quote

Hang on there...how have you "verified" that the control is OK? This unit has only a timer.

The wiring diagram on all GE dishwashers is under the lower kickplate.

All Parts & Diagrams for this Model
Al
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have been unclear as to how electricity is provided to the dishwasher. The control switch that I was refering to is a light switch that controls the power to the recepticle that the dishwasher is plugged into. I took power readings at the C/B that were 117/118 vac, and I took an ohmic reading across the contacts of the light switch that showed no continuity when the light switch was off and slight rsistance when the light switch was on. I took the kick panel off and could not find the wiring diagram, so I ordered one from G.E.
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: dishwasher Reply with quote

Wish you'd have checked with me first Al. I am providing you some good info below:

GE Potscrubber Manual

I always start with a continuity check of the door switches, then I progress down to the motor to see if there is 120 volts to the 2 leads when the unit should be running. Good voltage, bad motor.
Al
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. How do I get to the door switches? Are we talking about the interlock switch? I sure hope this is an easy fix. You will be my wife's hero for sure!
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: dishwasher Reply with quote

The inner door panel will separate to reveal the door switch. Be sure to also check for 120 volts at the power connection below the unit from the wall.

Does the unit do absolutely nothing? No fill, no hum?
Al
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try what you suggest. In answer to your other question, you lock the door, turn the knob, nothing happens.
Al
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the inner panel off. I found a piece of metal with a flexible piece of vinyl like material attached to a plastic post that has broken off. I see where it looks like a piece of plastic has broken off from the outer door . Is it possible to reglue the post back onto the door? If so, what adhesive do you recommend. If not, it looks like I will have to replace the outer door assembly. If so, I will probably need more assistance.
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: dishwasher Reply with quote

I provided you with the diagrams and parts list for this machine in my first post so there is no reason that you would describe a broken piece so generally. Please look at the pictures of the unit in the parts link and see which specific view shows your broken object. Each part on that dishwasher has a specific name and part number listed on the pictures in the diagram. What part of the "outer door" is the broken post located? Is it near the door latch?

Once we have a name for what's broken we can decide if you can fix it or not. It should be easy to spot the item once you open the link I provided above.
Al
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part appears to be item 901 on the diagram, Escutcheon. It is the top part of the door where the handle to lock the door goes thru and the selector buttons and other electronics attach to.
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: ecchen Reply with quote

Now we are getting somewhere! I have replaced these all the time, and not just on GE. It seems all the mfgs use cheap plastic parts to save money, so they tend to break after several years of use. Do yourself a favor and order a new escutcheon. It's a breeze to change out the attached parts and make the thing work again. We have tried in vain to glue and epoxy these tabs on in the past and have alreay learned that it does not work on acrylics. Can you say "planned obsolescence"? I knew you could....

Order the Escutcheon- click here

Less than $40 to repair this problem!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help Forum Index -> Dishwashers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: