The Virtual Repairman's  Appliance Help Forum Index The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help
It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bookmark and Share
Electric Oven will not maintain temperature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help Forum Index -> Cooking Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jneub60

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Electric Oven will not maintain temperature Reply with quote

I have a GE electric built in oven model # JPT10GP or JTP11WP (not sure which). The oven will heat to set temp but not maintain it, i.e., set oven to 250 and element heats until 250 is reached but once 250 is reached, oven cuts off and fails to maintain 250. If a higher temp is then selected, oven reheats to that temp and cuts off. Only on bake, broil not affected. Thanks.
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Oven problem Reply with quote

Your electronic control is the likely culprit. It receives signals from the oven sensor probe to calculate temperature. The best way to rule out a possible bad oven sensor is to remove the 2 screws on the oven sensor (in the oven cavity) and pull gently on it until the wiring connector appears, then disconnect the plastic connector. Use your OHM meter to check resistance on the probe terminals. A probe at room temperature will register about 1040 to 1125 OHMs if good. If this checks out OK, then the actual electronic control is bad.

GE says the control for your model is NO LONGER AVAILABLE, so let's hope it's just the sensor. Let us know how you come out!
jneub60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now got around to checking the sensor and my meter shows 1.140 OHMs
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Oven problem Reply with quote

Then your oven sensor is OK.
jric
Apprentice DIYer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these readings also apply for a sensor for a Kenmore gas range? I have the same problem with the temp not being maintained.
Virtual Repairman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Oven sensors Reply with quote

Oven sensor readings apply to any brand. An oven sensor is merely a Platinum-clad thermister. Its values are universal. More on oven sensor testing is found on my website. CLICK HERE

However, the symptoms for a gas range are completely different than on an electric oven. For example, poor cooking temperatures in a gas range are usually caused by a weak bake ignitor. See the oven & range section on my website for a thorough explanation.

Repairman's Tip on Bake Ignitors: If your ignitor glows, but does not ignite the oven within 60 seconds, replace it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Virtual Repairman's Appliance Help Forum Index -> Cooking Products All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: